Monday, June 1, 2009

"L" and "IR"

had an interesting day.  Paddled with Phil at 0530 around Kau Yi Chau, then rushed to SK to paddle K1 with Man-Sir.  He pretty much gave me free reign and I actually paddled past Tung Sum Kei; I was heading for the little white house in Tan Ka Wan when I heard a slow, deliberate L signal from the marine police, then they announced, "the boat ahead, come over here and submit yourself to be inspected by the marine police."   Since the bow of the police boat was pointing between a sampan and my k1, I was getting nervous -- should I paddle over obediently and submit myself for an inspection?  But I wasn't even carrying my HKID!

So I got hit by the waves generated by the police boat.  No problem, was tired but could still balance.  Then the WSC powerboat sped towards us as well, I thought I was in deep shit for sure.

But the police boat continued to turn and headed straight for the sampan, so I understood I was free to go, and paddled away quickly... and the WSC powerboat left me alone as well.


And I saw the water-treatment ship again today; I saw the same boat the last time I paddled with Vincent, too.  It hoisted the HKSAR flag along with the signal flags "IR," I got curious and asked Man Sir what it meant, but he didn't know either.  So I looked it up and turns out it's supposed to mean somebody is working under water and we are supposed to keep clear and slow down.  Why couldn't they just fly an "A" flag??

Am really tired, with a sore throat too.  Hope it's not the flu.  Am going to bed now and probably not going into the water tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment