Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Shek Mun Initiation, and Fan Goh's program

Trained K1 with Suk-Fun today (instead of Man-Sir), then went to Shek Mun to train for the first time.  Spend the first 15 minutes being told off with a lot of far-fetched metaphors about what a liability I could be to HKCU if I were to paddle solo and get hurt.  But then we talked about the circumnavigate NZ trip, and that was very helpful.

Am too tired to write coherently.  So will use point forms and maybe reorganize later (or not).

  • I have 6 months before the expedition, so make 6 progressive monthly training plans.
  • write up all my calorie intakes (food + drinks), time of consumption, (how frequently)
  • write up  how much work out I did every day, and paddling speed
  • make a point to analyze my recovery (how long did it take to recover after a long, hard, continuous trip?) and make a log 
  • measure my pulse rate after the paddling exercise, aim to work it up to 191bpm, but starting with 114.
  • paddle 20-30 km every day, with a tiger, with no break at all (not even to bail water or to drink, bring a mountain fountain for drinks.)  Must work it up to 8km/hr by the end of June.  And that's "leisurely pace," not the 100m dash pace.
  • sync my breathing with every stroke.
  • run/jog for 7-8 km every day for cardiovascular conditioning.
  • #3 Work on Endurance
  • #2 Work on Strength
  • #1 Work on techniques, skills, postures, rhythm, cadence, coordination... 
  • must work on speed for the sake of survival -- in case I need to turn around at the mercy of a storm
  • use a pair of 8 lbs dumbbells to tone the biceps.  Lift (L.R.L.R...) for 5 minutes, rest for 3, lift 5, rest 3, repeat 3 cycles until I can do it easily, then do 4 cycles, and so on.
  • 3 sets of 20 : pull-ups, push-ups, dips, sit-ups.  When I can do it steadily with decent speed, add another cycle. (ha!  fat chance!  oh, but think survival...)
  • work on 20-30 lbs dumbbells only just before the trip (or tournament)
  • take frequent, small meals, with lots of veggies, but must also eat meat.
  • absolutely no smoking, only half to one glass of wine per day, and avoid fatty food.
  • avoid using a liquid-only diet for long term
  • stretch for 20 minutes before paddling, stretch for 10 after.
  • towards the end of the paddling exercise, paddling slowly to cool down and let the lactic acid out.
  • experiment with seat paddings for height and also to reduce blisters.

That's all that I can remember for now.  Oh, and the gym session was humiliating.  I couldn't even finish one set of dips.  And I had to finish my second set of push ups on my knees.  Got down to the water  after 3 cycles though, paddled a tiger and somehow managed to keep pace with the k1 paddlers.  So that lifted my mood a little.

whoa, 0129 in the morning!  must...get...sleep.


No comments:

Post a Comment