Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Shek Mun training Day 2

I thought Fan-Goh's June training menu was easy enough to follow.  Ha!  I would laugh, except my ab hurts too much.

It's nearly mid night and I'm still up, so it doesn't look like I'll be able to paddle 20k in the morning before I go sailing.  And I thought, 20-30km a day was supposed to be an insult to my endurance! 

Bused to Shatin today.  Got there late, so neither jog nor stretch cos want to save time for paddling.  Changed the gym routine to see if I do better on the first few items ... well, yes and no.  I managed 20 dips on the first set, but couldn't finish the 2nd set.  The most pathetic part was the sit-ups -- my ab hurts so badly I couldn't even lie down comfortably.  I nearly teared up when I tried to sit up on the inclined board.  Did all of the TWO sit ups, and I was ready to give up.

Paddling went okay.  Found a tiger with a big styrofoam block inside so was able to push the kayak forward with my toes as I paddled.  I think I did a little better than yesterday, but have to pull out a calculator to work out the average speed and am too tired to do that.  First round was ridiculous, was going to try the baby gremini paddles but gave up after I made it to the -500 mark.  It gave me no power, no leverage at all.  So I went back to get the winged blades.

First few rounds were feeble, forgot to synchronize my paddling with my breathing all together on the first run.  After a few runs, I think my body finally got the coordinations down, and my performance improved.  I thought I wasn't too tired while I was still sitting in the boat, but once I climbed onto the pontoon, I was surprised at how stiff I was.

Took a short break (all of ONE minute) between round 3 and round 4 to have a drink -- ended up drinking up the entire bottle of poccari sweat, and I swear it jump-started my performance.  So for longer trips, maybe it is a good idea to stop for sugar and water.

Will write down the details tomorrow.  I'm so sleepy I'm getting dizzy.

Oh, and I finally contacted feifei-cat, the coastal search-and-rescue coordinator.  Really looking forward to training and planning with his team.  

[edited to add]

pull ups 20/20/20
dips 20/15/20
push ups 20/20/20
sit ups 1/1/- (DNF)

1455 launch 1
1511 got to the -500 mark and back to the pontoon (swapped the gremini for winged paddle)

1518 launch (pontoon)
1525 -500 mark
1602 3000 mark
1627 -500 mark
1707 3000 mark
1725 - 1726 -500 mark * * * 1 minutes water break (!) gulped down 1L of poccari sweat * * *
1755 3000 mark
1822 -500 mark
1851 3000 mark
1919 -500 mark
1929 landing (pontoon) * * * pulse rate 104 bpm * * *

No comments:

Post a Comment