Sunday, June 7, 2009

Training Plan

I'm going to write this blog, and then I'm going to bed.  

Paddled a typical KAT launching from WSWSC, went from WSC to Hoi Ha to Grass Is. to Chek Keng back to East Arm and then back to WSWSC.  It was fairly uneventful.  Siu Ming took a 15HP power boat out (instead of a kayak), so there wasn't much room for messing around.

What I want to write about is the discussion we had after everybody left.  First we talked about seal launching/ landing, he reckons we can probably get some practices, or at least experimentations, in Tung Ping Chau.  (Of course we can, I did it accidentally in 2007!)  He isn't willing to teach a course, but might be willing to come along for some mutual experimentations if I can find a power boat and if the wind condition is moderate.  So, I'll either have to ask Paul, or So-Goh (sampan).

The thing that really excited me was the discussion about the circumnavigate New Zealand South Island trip -- apart from Dennis and Horia, I don't know anybody else who would take me seriously.  Siu Ming thought I was suicidal to contemplate such a trip, he describes it as self-torture rather than adventure, but he conceded that it would be a good experience to have, and so we talked about a training plan.

He advised I should definitely work on endurance through gym workouts (dope!!!! I *hate* the gym with a passion!) and not just on-water type work out.  At the very least 40%  (preferably 50%) of my training time should be allocated to on land training, like rowing machines, resistance training, etc.  

So a typical training day should go like this: wake up early in the morning, spend 2 hours on gym workout, then get down to the water to paddle until lunch time, have lunch, after lunch, spend two hours on studying and researching, then get back to the gym for two hours, then get back down to the water.  

Have five training days and then take a day or two off to rest. 

If it's stormy (I say have fun paddling it!  But...) Siu Ming suggests to go jogging/ running.  Not sure how that helps me paddle but, oh well.

As for the water part, apparently I need to adjust my mentality - no more leisurely cruising; I need to get mean.   So much for my resolution to focus on rescue.  Siu Ming thinks I need to set a speed goal -- I have no control over time, I'll get 24 hrs a day and there is no way around it.  So the only factor I can control is speed.  Get to TMT faster on the same boat.  Then get to TMT with a loaded boat.  Then paddle to TMT while dragging a mass and I still have to get there on time.  Then paddle a shitty, loaded foldable kayak while dragging anchor to TMT (yeah right.) 

But don't just paddle on water, because it's going to end up damaging the muscle that I overuse all the time.  It's better to work on overall strength and endurance than to just focus on the muscle groups that I use when I paddle.

Research about weather patterns in NZ, look into the details and kinks in at least the last few years.  Also look into all the possible landing/ bailing sites.  Look into difficult spots and rough water warnings, etc.  Really study the blogs of the adventurous souls who already managed the trip before my attempt.  Look into the psychology and physiology of it -- see what difficulties others run into.  Look into all possible mental issues that might hold me back --  like trying to launch a boat alone while leaving a hypothermic patient behind. 

That's all I can remember for now.  My brain is shutting down and I need sleep.  Which might as well, the sun is setting, I'm going to work on my circadian rhythm if I plan to camp for 3 months.

No comments:

Post a Comment