Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Mountaineering Accident - when your ego runs the show and you get too far ahead

1306 and I'm still mucking around...?  For some reasons I couldn't sleep until very late last night, so I woke up tired.

Decided to join Dennis' Trailwalker group, so we start training this Saturday.  I've always thought, as soon as I land, all is well, nothing could harm me.  Ha!  Funny girl.  I'm rather helpless on land, which is not a good thing, especially when I have to take care of myself for 3 months or so in NZ in the wilderness.  And contrary to my screwed beliefs, shit can happen on dry ground.

This reminds me of the incident when I took my Kayak Proficiency Gold exam with Danny, the sea was heavy and Danny picked a somewhat difficult route (considering the heavy tide, wind, and rain anyway), the other 2 examinees seemed to have troubles paddling against the head wind; I was moving steadily ahead, but kept glancing back and noticed they were stuck in the narrow passage between Grass Island and Kung Chau.  

At the time, I reasoned that it would be easier for Danny to take care of two incapacitated students, instead of three, so I lowered my head and paddled hard against the headwind, moving away from the "crux" to wait for them in the next designated check point.   I kept looking back, they still weren't making any progress, but Danny did not give me any signal to come back, so I paddled on.

After I left the narrow passage, I realized the current was still rapid and I would be sucked backward if I remain stationary just ahead of the passage, so I decided to paddle to the next check point just around the Northern point of Grass Island.  I reasoned that once I rounded the Northern tip, the wind will come from behind me, so it would push me forward, instead of backward.

The wind did exactly that, but I soon realized my body temperature dived once I stopped paddling, so I decided to paddle just a bit further ahead to find a sheltered area to try to stay warm.

I've never seen Danny so angry; when he finally left the other two students behind to look for me, he didn't even yell at me or anything, he just stared at me in complete disbelieve.  He told me he was ready to call the center for a powerboat to search for me when he didn't see me in the previous 2 checkpoints.  He asked me what I would do if I were to capsize and nobody saw me.  

Looking back, that's probably the shittiest "prank" I've ever pulled on my kayaking trip leaders.  I was the only girl on the trip, and I wanted to prove myself capable of handling my own craft despite being a girl.  Looking at the fatal hiking accident in NM, I suddenly realize what a nasty, self-centered megalomaniac I have been.  I still have a tendency to leave my companion behind, I really need to change that habit.

In the mean time, as the title suggests, shit can happen on land, so I'm committed to really work with the rest of the program (strength, resistance, CV, jogging...), and not just the water-logged bit.

Will head to shatin now with a decent pair of runners; I'll work on the land stuff till I drop, then get down to the water if I have time; or bus back to Sai Kung and get my 20+k launching from Fred's.

Don't think I can pester Dennis about safety calls at that kind of ungodly hours.  Or maybe I can get him to phone police if there is no mail in his inbox by early tomorrow morning.


No comments:

Post a Comment