Saturday, June 6, 2009

K1 at DCC, and a night time stroll in Tai Tan Hoi

Paddled K1 at DCC with Winffy, Grace, and May today -- it was so hot I nearly didn't go. 

Got there at 1400 anyway, tried out a few K1 kayaks -- including a tiger-K1 and also a tiger K1 with a high seat.  Didn't capsize but not particularly proud of it either, obviously I didn't try very hard.  In fact, I was bracing and slapping for support the whole afternoon, I was too chicken to really plant the paddle deep into the water, and I wouldn't dream of pushing the blade behind me.

Towards the end, I paddled a really stable K1 (woodpecker), and thought I would push myself a little harder and allow myself to go a bit farther out -- I did that, and ... got ... lost u_u  I know, stupid as stupid do.

Started panicking once I rounded the Island and realize I don't remember what DCC looks like =_=  Decided to pull off my sun glasses, which was a pretty mean task when you're clutching onto the paddle shaft for dear life.  It was past 1800 so the wind was picking up, and the stupid wake-board duo that kept zapping past me didn't help either.

Heard the girls calling out for me to come back at one point, but as I removed my sunglasses to look for them, my lanyard got all tangled up with my paddle shaft; tried to correct it a few times by wrapping it around my left pinky and tried to yank the sunglasses away, and nearly got myself capsized.  Finally decided to move to a rocky island nearby to fix the lanyard. (lined with oyster shells too, so typical...)

At that point Winffy came out to where I was with a green plastic kayak, I had to be rescued u_u  SOOO typical.  She helped me to turn around so that I could get away from the oyster-island, then I followed her back to DCC ... yeah, I had to follow her.  Because ... her stubby little plastic boat still coursed faster than my K1.  I was *that* pathetic.

Bused back to WSWSC to pick up my tiger, launched it at 1904 from the CAS patch, got to Nam Fung Kok by 1930, but there was enough daylight/moonlight for me to see where I was and even read my watch without the backlit on (HKO claims the sun sets at 1905).  Got back to the Orange buoy towards To Kwa Peng by 20:03 and stayed till 2030 to practice bow-rudder and high brace turns. 

Felt fairly comfortable playing around the boats in the dark, but that's with the full moon shinning over my head.  Landing in Tai Tan was still a struggle though, especially with the lowish tide.

Comfortably tired today, looking forward to a KA trip with Siu Ming tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment