Monday, June 15, 2009

recovery from 60k


Paddled 60k yesterday: DB - SMB, then trained KA skills with Man Sir (bow-rudder, hang-draw, rolling, swimming-in-canoe, cross bow-rudder), then paddled back to DB.  Squally thunder followed me all the way to SMB from Ap Lei Chau (actually they were thumping down on Ding-Ling Islands when I was along Ap Lei Chau.) Took a bit of a detour while crossing channel cos I was trying to avoid collision, and ended up on the wrong side of Kau Yi Chau.

I was cold all night after the 60k trip yesterday... so typical.  And finally I got blisters, I've been wondering what's happening to my old friends (blisters), I haven't seen them since Japan.  But they are back =_=

Mostly my right forearm hurts, I blame Richard's paddle, which hasn't got a feathering angle (in fact, it's slightly offset to the left, so it's actually a left-control paddle.)  I knew I was in trouble before I even reached Kau Yi Chau, but decided not to let excuses get in the way of training.  Turns out it wasn't a training day, it was a punishment day.

Got really scared in East Lamma Channel, but it's about time I finally meet my nemesis.  I was so busy watching out for all the passing vessels that I hardly had time for reminiscence.  Have to admit though, even though I didn't consciously go through the nightmare in 2007, crossing the channel was still intensely stressful.

The entire journey back was a punishment, I knew I was going very slow but all I cared was to go home and shower.  I wasn't even sure I had enough willpower or strength to bring myself  back to DB, but I was surprised when Round Island drifted towards me, then Ap Lei Pai, then Magazine Island, CyberPort, Green Island ... I was just too busy dealing with the pain, and started zoning out, and then before I know it, I was home.

Crossing the channel was again, nerve whacking.  But I'm dealing with the irrational fear one step at a time, and progress is progress.

Palms and fingers thoroughly abused by the time I landed on DB, but I think, if I give myself a week's time to rest (and work on other strength training), eventually I can get used to a 60k day.  

Very tired today, woke up at 0600 but mucked around at home till now.  Am going to do some mild jogging, push ups, etc, and launch Martlet for 22k, (see below) and then rest.  No more over-training for the next week or so.


edited to say: just finished my 23k (after a few half-ass sets of sit ups and burpees), took martlet out with the heavy paddle (Neville's), my fingers started tingling before I even left Tai Pak.  I'm pretty sure it has something to do with that particular paddle.

Felt an intense pang of hunger before I even made it to Kau Yi, only then did I realize all I had was a bottle of water -- no sport drinks, no candies.  So typical u_u  Paddled on anyway, am still very exhausted from yesterday, started taking breaks by the time I rounded Sunny Island, I wonder if it's just from over training yesterday, or if it is because of the unbelievably heavy paddle.  (Seriously, it's like paddling with a set of free weights.)   

When I got back, I decided I wanted to practice rolling -- and did a few half rolls with the heavy paddles, but then the water really is too disgusting, so I finally left.

Foody time now.  Good to know I'm getting back to normal -- that is to say, feeling intensely hungry, rather than tired, after a mild day trip.

DB 1:39 (head wind)
Kau Yi 2:29
(at the pt where I can see the gap between HLC and Sunny Is) 3:14 
Rounded the corner of HLC at 3:38 (following sea)
The bend of the Dam at HLC 3:55
Hei Ling Chau NW Pier 4:13
Tai Lei 4:52
"pincher" of DB5:12

No comments:

Post a Comment