Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Lost in Mui Wo -- In the dark

rested yesterday, for some reasons my quads were quite sore.  And the blisters on my palms were killing me.

Met Carol to discuss trailwalker training on Lantau.  After our chat, I finally dragged myself down to the water and launched Martlet.  I was only going to do my 23km routine, but then I haven't had an accident for over a month now, and we all know that's just too good to last...

DB Tai Pak   5:48pm
Kau Yi           6:29
Sunny Is.       6:51
Hei Ling C    ???
Mui Wo        ???
Marina          ???
DB Tai Pak   9:02 

That makes 25km in 3hrs 14 mins = 7.7km/hr  Plus fumbling with compass and map and fishes and cell phone, so I think, the speed isn't too bad.  

Right, the accident.  I was just going to go through with my normal 23k island hopping routine, the late evening sky was amazingly beautiful, so beautiful it was, that I forgot to look where I was going before it gets really really dark.

So it got dark, I was rounding the dam of HLC, somehow I thought Disco Bay is the only civilization on Lantau, so I saw city light, and I got drawn into it like a moth drawn into a flame.  By the time I noticed there was a welcome store, McD, and China Bear, I knew I was in trouble. 

Pulled out my map, since it was too dark to use my regular compass, I tried to use my CASIO watch compass, but somehow it wouldn't give me a reading.  And my fingers got tired trying to hold down the backlit button. (it wouldn't stay lit anyway.)   I ended up needing to use my strobe light to help me see the black compass that I always wear around my neck.  Note to self: next time, get a glow-in-the-dark compass.

Paddling in the dark was unnerving.  I wasn't able to judge the distances of the landscape, and a fairly large boat sailed pass me without any light on at all -- no red, no green, no white light, I only saw its silhouette when it moved between me and Disney.  It's scary, I wasn't sure if it could see me either (I did had my C-strobe on) and the engine sounded really close to my kayak.

When I finally got out of Mui Wo, I thought my phone rang, because something was vibrating between my legs... strange, I know, because I DID NOT KEEP MY PHONE BETWEEN MY LEGS.  Turns out not one but three little fish jumped into my boat.  I loosen up my waist band before launching so to alleviate the salt-sore on my ab, and the fishes just slide right into my pants... ;__;  When I finally realized what was happening, I freaked out and screamed my head off.  I think the ninja-boat next to me heard me, because they sped away from me towards Disney.  Anyway, I couldn't take the suspense anymore.  I called Dennis for some moral support, mostly to hear myself say that I still have everything under control ... more or less.

The nastiest part of it was that I didn't bring a bottle of water.  I thought it was going to be a quick repetition of a well-practiced routine route, but shit happens.  Next time, bring water no matter what.

I was so thirsty when I finally landed, I tried to muscle my water-filled martlet up to shore, and in the process, probably did something to my collar bone where I had a fracture a few years ago.  I bailed the water and carried the boat with my other shoulder afterwards.  I guess I won't know if it's hurt until a day or two later.

After shower, I did a bit of weight training up in the gym.  Worked on shoulder/chest muscle, back, triceps, and quad.  

Ready for bed now.

No comments:

Post a Comment