Monday, July 13, 2009

DB to SMB to DB log (2)

Turns out you do get used to 70k+ a day, my body isn't as tired as before, the number one problem this time is salt-sore (lower back, butt, armpit, palms) and, well, lack of food. (And sunburns, of course.)

When I left my apartment, HKO was still hoisting the T1 signal.  So I thought I would probably just paddle out to Lamma and then come back to get back to bed.

Then I called Siu-Ming, his wife picked up and told me the group will go ahead with the trip, so that means I have to go to SMB afterall =_=  I tried to hurry then, because I mucked around quite a bit along lamma, and the strong headwind puts me way behind schedule already.

When I got there, Siu Ming and his KPG kids were already by the beach ready to launch.  I made it there just in time to be briefed about the route plan.  Turns out we can't go to Po Toi afterall, I knew WSC managers banned Po Toi long time ago, I thought Siu Ming knows, and was going to do it under the table.  Imagine my shock when he just blatantly walks up to the manager and told them "we are off to Po Toi today." =_=;;;

So Chun Hum Kok it was.  Which means no restaurant; we had to munch on our emergency rations.  I had nothing but a granola bar, ho hum.  Siu Ming shared his bread and sport drinks with me but still, I mean, you just don't try to survive a 70km trip on bread alone... 

I'm starting to believe I am solar-operated, because I managed to go home afterall, despite an intense hunger pang that wouldn't go away.

I felt good during the first 30km, despite very strong head wind.  Progress was slow but I wasn't tired, my right armpit got a little sore from rubbing against the PFD, which I took care of by, well, taking it off.

Crossing the WLC in the morning was okay, total darkness plus the large boats parked between the WLC and ELC made navigation a challenge, but traffic was very quiet and so it wasn't particularly stressful.  By the time I was ready to cross the ELC though, sea liners and tankers were running at full throttle, I wasn't terrified, but it was definitely stressful.  I definitely felt relieved when I finally got to Bluff Head.

On my way back, traffic wasn't too heavy at ELC, I was a little worried about sunset by the time I crossed WLC, and again, navigation was complicated by all the large boats anchored between the channels, but otherwise, it was uneventful and only very mildly stressful.  I was able to zone out a little, because I was surprised when I suddenly realized I was at Tai Lee, before I knew it, I was nearly at the end of my 70km journey.

When I was crossing the WLC, a yacht sailed by and asked if I needed help.  Funny, when I paddled to SMB last month, I really wished I would run into someone who could give me a lift home.  This time though, I felt fine, and I told the sailors as much.  But that just goes to prove, the DB sailors are a friendly bunch.  I should really get to know them better.



The trip log:
0412 DB Tai Pal
0425 DB "pincher"
0438 Tai Lee
0445 Peng Chau SW
0659 Lamma (Beacon 132) 懐かしい〜
0728 Luk Chau
0805 Lamma Wong Chuk Kok
0912 Wong Ma Kok
0939 Lo Chau
0955 SMB

* * *With KPG group * * *
1334 Chun Hum Kok 
1452 Wong Ma Kok (turn around)
* * *solo again * * *

1606 Lamma Wong Chuk Kok
1657 Luk Chau
1722 Lamma (Beacon 132)
1901 Peng Chau SW
1912 Tai Lee
1932 DB Tai Pak

No comments:

Post a Comment