Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Some thoughts about paddling New Zealand

My dad is retiring next year, and so my family is thinking about a retirement adventure trip in NZ.  (Are you sure your knees are okay with it though, daddy?)

They asked if I can join them.  At first I thought why not.  Then I saw the pamphlet and was sad to see that only one of the 18 days will be spend in a kayak.  So I thought, why don't I do my OWN kayaking trip along side?  Hopefully I can time my expedition so that I can meet them somewhere for food and fuel supplies.  That's what parents are for, right? (anxiously waiting for the next thunder to strike O_O)

Which means I'm planning a circumnavigate NZ trip for early next year.  I don't even know if my parents are going to go for sure, but if I do go, I need to start preparation now.

Just some random thoughts about what to train for, but I should probably consult someone with a bit more experience before I go.  Then again, my entire life has been a long string of suicide-attempts anyway.  So why stop now? :-)

  1. Landing/ Launching in surf zones, esp. seal landing/ launching skills.
  2. Continuous paddling in big swells
  3. paddling a fully loaded sea kayak
  4. weeks or even months of paddling without a break
  5. self-rescue in rough sea with a fully loaded sea kayak
  6. Get that stupid ham license and VHF radio already, c'mon!
  7. get a reverse osmosis pump
  8. [on-going updates]
Not sure about item 4, because it's also known as over-training.  I've been on the water nearly every day in May and my back is screaming bloody murder.  Petroleum jelly can help with salt blisters, but not fully eliminate them.  If I can't extend my tourist visa, I'll still have to finish the trip within 90 days -- and that includes waiting out the storms, pre-trip planning time, replenishment, etc.

Still pondering about sponsorship.  Don't really want the trip to be a huge advertisement gig, but it can be a stepping stone to getting helps with the transpacific epic that I hope to paddle somedays.  If I can't work out sponsorship, I think I might just get Fred to paint a tiger for me and ship it over for the trip.  If nothing else, circumnavigating NZ with an old tiger has to be a bit of a dare-devil stunt.

No comments:

Post a Comment