Thursday, April 30, 2009

Second Guessing [on-going updates]

What happened last Sunday still bothers me, but I've learnt long ago not to second guess my decisions -- if we came out of it alive, we must have done something right.

But I'm sure both Dennis and I are going to recreate our disastrous scenario at some point to work out what we did right, and what we could have done better.  Right now, I have a few thoughts:

1) Climb onto Prijon.
I wonder if it would work for me to tow a capsized Prijon with Dennis lying on top of it?  Or would it be too unstable?  It would reduce the drag for me, and keep the patient's core body out of the water.  But I wouldn't want my patient to try something like that for the first time in a real life rescue situation anyway, save it for a good day after a lot of pizza on DBay, I'd say...

2) Raft Tow or Cockpit-side Tow
Things really got out of hands when Dennis capsized after the 3rd successful reentry.  He did warn me his kayak was very unstable, so I should have tried a raft tow or a cockpit-side tow.  

will write more when I come up with more ideas about what we could try in similar situations.

No comments:

Post a Comment