Tuesday, December 22, 2009

trip prep musing

For someone my age, I've certainly done a fair bit of traveling, and I tend to stay in countries I visit for at least 6 months, so you'd think I must be getting good at it by now.

Kids are counting down for Christmas, I'm counting down to fly.  I remember being stressed before I flew to Japan, and I remember being stressed before I flew to Indonesia, but I most certainly haven't felt as stressed as I am right now.

This is ridiculous, I worked darn hard for this trip, and I still can't shake the feeling that I haven't done enough preparations.  Will I find enough fresh water? (I don't have a desalinator)  Will I get lost? (my garmin etrex is broken) How will I keep in touch? (still can't find a charger for my iridium handset so I'm not even going to bring it)  Will I bump into killer whales?  Will I be able to hold my bladder long enough? (I'll be wearing long john wet suit pants and dry suit tops so good luck taking that off while perching precariously on deck.  For the first time in my life, I have to concede Freud has a point when he says girls envy boys for having penises.) 

And all these are supposed to be fun.  Didn't I airily tell Dennis that this whole trip is 90% preparation and only 10 percent on-water performance?  It's just like me to open up a can of worms and have to eat it too.

Ok, that's enough.  Back to do some more packing now.

No comments:

Post a Comment