Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Confronting Yuki

I finally confronted Yuki, I'm not very good at this kind of things, I wasn't sure what would be the best approach, but I had decided I would be blunt, with no sugar coating.  I expected her to find excuses, I don't expect her to accept what I have to say, but I want her to hear the raw message.  One day, she will remember, amidst all her pampering friends, someone out there was willing to be honest with her and tell her what she needed to hear.


Yuki, I want you to know, I didn't write what I wrote to hurt you. I think you did the best you could during the race, and I am proud of you for finishing it despite being so unprepared. 

I am disappointed that you never took our team goal seriously, you made very little effort to train towards attaining the goal, you just blindly and naively believed you could somehow do it when the time comes. I hope you've learnt the lesson: endurance events required dedications and consistent training, you can't just cram in a few last minute training sessions and hope for the best.

Your lack of preparations costed you your well beings, it also costed our team's cohesion. I wish you didn't have to find out the consequences at such a high cost, I know you suffered greatly during the race, and despite all your fault, I don't think you deserve to suffer like that. 

I do feel responsible for our team's failure, Paul and I both knew you weren't ready and needed to train more months before the event, yet I've said nothing to you. Your disregards for your commitment to our team's target frustrated Paul and I greatly, your refusal to see that you are responsible for what you have committed to only aggravates our tension. If you don't have the time to train for the event, you should have resigned from our team. If you think 30 hours is too much to aim for, you should have voiced your concerns and re-negotiate for a more attainable target. But instead, you airily declared your complete confidence in your ability to "win," despite contributing very little efforts in getting ready for the event. That's very irresponsible. Your friends will have you believe you did a great job, that you are blameless. But in the end, it's not your friends that you need to impress. You simply have to answer to yourself.

Your friends seem to think I'm disappointed at you because we didn't finish the walk in better time. That's simply not true. If you had trained hard for the event, if you did the best you could and this is the outcome, I would have been proud and happy to accept it. If you trained hard but had to pull out in the middle of the event, we will still be proud of you. None of us in the team wished you to get injured, none of us wish you to risk your health by over extending yourself. No one is born with the ability to succeed in this kind of demanding tasks. There really is no secret, you reap what you sow, how much you get out depends on how much you put in. You chose to put in very little effort in training and continuously skipped practice, yet expected great results, that is ludicrous.

I write this a few months too late, I should have said this months ago, when you still had a chance to reconsider your commitment, when you still had a chance to make some hard choices. It isn't easy for me to come out and confront you like this, it would have been much easier for me to just keep quiet and forget about this like a bad dream. But as a friend, as someone who cares about your well being, I think this is the least I can do for you.

all the best,

No comments:

Post a Comment